This project is for my Digital Materials and Textures class, with a goal of using textures to display a new and destroyed version of the same object.
My inspiration for this project is my family's old Aljo camper. It looks beaten up now, but this camper holds many memories from camping trips with my dad.
The next step was to UV map the entire model. I did all of the UV mapping in Maya. Since I planned to paint the textures in Mari, I used multiple patches for some of the larger elements, such as the body of the camper.
Since the goal of this version was to depict the object as if it were brand new off the factory floor, much of the textures could be done procedurally.
The damaged version of the camper was much more challenging, but also much more fun. This being my first real plunge into Mari, I was pleased with the breadth of tools available to me to create exactly the look I wanted when painting.
To complete this version, I used Mari's variety of organic brushes to create the appearance of dirt, decay. and rust. After painting the color maps, I took them into Photoshop and altered them to create bump and specular maps.